If you are new to the real estate industry the number one way that you can get your business up and running is with an open house. In this career field meeting people interested in buying or selling is the name of the game. The more people that you interact with on a daily basis that you know are “in the market” the higher likely hood you will be successful.
For an agent starting out you should probably speak with other sales people in the office that already have listings and ask if they would be willing to let you show one of their properties. This is a win-win situation for both you and the agent with the listing because they will possibly be selling a listing and you will probably be the one representing a potential buyer. Also it will make the listing salesperson look good to their client because they will be doing everything they can to help sell the property.
Here are a few tips to help you at your open house:
1) It sounds simple but advertise that their will be an open house. If no one knows that you are actually showing a property then it is not likely that anyone will show up. Put up signs and post on the internet the time and location of the showing.
2) Make sure that the homeowner is not home during the showing. You are in charge of actually selling the property and it is uncomfortable for most prospective buyers if the owner of the home is present during a showing. You will find that if the seller is present you will not get as much feedback about the property regardless of whether it is positive or negative.
3) Ask that the home be as clean and organized as possible. The less clutter that is around the more spacious the house will feel. Just try to have anything that is not absolutely necessary like old mail or magazines put away or discarded. Kids toys should also be neat and put away. Beds should be made and clothes should be in closets and dressers.
4) The lawn should be freshly cut a day or two before the actual event. Try to create as much curb appeal as possible. Have the hedges trimmed and any outdoor patio equipment should be put in its proper place.
5) Light scented candles. The smell of a home is really important. Typically people can recall memories best from their sense of smell over any other sense. Pick something that could bring back good memories like cookies. Sugar cookie candles are almost every where and are always a winner. They will bring back some ones memory of Christmas or when mom used to make cookies for holidays or bake cakes for parties which will make the house feel more like home.